Sunday, May 8, 2011

"Soul Surfer"

Just a quick movie tip about "Soul Surfer," the inspirational true story of Bethany Hamilton, who lost an arm to a shark attack and went on to experience even more love & greater victories... see it!  <3  I was pretty sure I was going to like this movie when I walked in and saw her suntanned parents (played by Helen Hunt & Dennis Quaid) singing along with their Calvary Chapel worship team to "Blessed Be the Name of the Lord" by Matt Redman (Bethany is a Christian):  the message of that song - that we praise God both when life is glorious and when it doesn't seem so glorious at all - has always resonated with me... and I knew the Hawaiian surfing scenes would be breathtakingly beautiful (they are).  You can read more about Bethany's story and the movie on the website:  http://www.soulsurferthemovie.com/  

The main reason I chose to post this little tip is simply because  it struck me:  we're all broken somewhere.  This girl has a great testimony for anyone who's had to deal with things that don't make sense or don't seem fair, when the life you thought was "blessed" isn't turning out at all the way you expected... Bethany shows us how Christ-in-us can triumph over whatever the attack has been.  P.S. of course I was in tears when I saw her ministering to the little tsunami survivor on the beach in Thailand... and lots of other scenes as well.  When a reporter asks if she regrets going surfing the day of the attack, Bethany smiles and says she wouldn't change anything, because she's been able to embrace more people with one arm than she ever could before.  That's His strength in our weakness... it's what amazing Love can do. <3 worth seeing <3  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment