Wednesday, January 12, 2011

House of Hope, Nicaragua - Part 2

Note to readers: I'll be traveling to Nicaragua for a week in January, to encourage and serve at House of Hope - a Christian vocational rehab for women & children escaping prostitution in the Managua area. Monday through Friday, I'll teach Bible studies (with a translator) and pray with individuals afterward. I'll also be staying "on campus" and interacting with about 60 residents (teen girls, adult women & their children). Tuesday morning, I'll share a Bible message with up to 350 women (some still on the streets) who come to House of Hope once a week to make greeting cards & jewelry as an alternative source of income. Friday's teaching session with HoH residents will be followed by "soaking prayer" (restful worship in God's Presence), as well as time for each of us to share what we've experienced during the week.
.
Thank you for remembering us all in your prayers!
.
For more information about House of Hope (including U.S. address for tax deductible donations): http://www.houseofhopenicaragua.com/
.
A report I wrote after my first trip to House of Hope in January 2009 is posted below. I've scheduled it to post in 4 parts - on 1/5, 1/12, 1/19 & 1/26 - while I prepare, travel, and recover from this year's trip. My 1st & 2nd trips to House of Hope were also described briefly in an earlier blog about missions, "Loving My Neighbor - Part 1" posted on this site on 6/3/10. The teachings I plan to share this year include adapted versions of the "Wilderness" series, which posted on this site 11/12, 11/26, 12/3, 12/8, 12/15, & 12/26/10.

Thanks again for keeping this ministry in your prayers...
.
----------------
January 2009
(continued from last week)
.
Monday morning I met with April and Jana at April's house, to discuss general instructions and schedule for the week - I would be teaching a one hour Bible study at 2pm every afternoon except Tuesday, when I spoke in the morning to 200+ women who come each week to make greeting cards. April translated the messages into Spanish (I can barely get by in conversation but not yet teaching) and we prayed with individual women after each session.
.
On Monday, Bella asked for prayer because she'd been feeling tempted to return to prostitution (she's been at HoH for about a month), and was wonderfully set free - her countenance was noticeably brighter and she said she felt happier every day after we prayed with her.
.
Esther also asked for prayer, as she was having second thoughts about giving up a third grandchild for adoption, even though he would join his siblings in the U.S. with a Christian couple who had already adopted the other two - we felt this was a natural response to separating from the last of her daughter Faveola’s children: Faveola gave her life to God at HoH but fell back into drugs and prostitution when she ran into her ex-pimp while on a pass to visit family, and he stabbed her to death last summer - Esther had previously been asked to leave House of Hope when she threatened to kill Oscar and April, but has returned since Faveola's death and loves the Lord. Esther was so hungry for God and receptive in all the sessions, I shared with her later that I felt God saying He would give her many more children to love (she is a good mother and grandmother to women and children at House of Hope), and that she would one day see the fruit of her very important prayers for her natural grandchildren...
.
Tuesday I woke up at about 3am feeling as if I couldn’t breathe - not afraid of anything specific, it seemed to be a spiritual attack since I was about to share a salvation message with the big Tuesday morning group, about 30% of whom are still in prostitution and come straight from the brothel to make greeting cards and hear a Bible message each week. I prayed & read a few scripture verses and the feelings of suffocation went away. After the message on Tuesday, no one came forward for first time salvation, but Oscar led the entire group in a "sinner's prayer" from their seats and about 25 women came to the front to surrender specific issues and ask for prayer...
.
Afterward, as I watched the card-making and took photos, I was touched by the family resemblances between many of the resident teenagers and their mothers and young siblings who come on Tuesdays...
.
After the day ladies left (40 or so piled in the back of an open camion), April hosted lunch with the heads of card-making tables, to show appreciation and share encouragement for their leadership.
.
Wednesday afternoon I spoke on sanctification and inner healing to about 20 to 25 residents, after which all 40 of us (including small children) gathered to celebrate the 2-year anniversary of House of Hope's residential program with cake and ice cream.
.
To be continued on 1/19/11...
.

"In the same way, it is not My heavenly Father's will that even one of these little ones should perish."

[Matthew 18:14 NLT]

No comments:

Post a Comment